Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Puff Pastry and Glucose

Speaking of walking, it's a bird symphony during our walks now. They make so many unusual sounds, sometimes we can find the singer and sometimes not. But you never miss the big clumsy obnoxious haddydas (sp.) They make the most obnoxious sound. But there are some very pretty birds with various colors, topnotches, etc. I'm sure the symphony will get louder and louder as it gets warmer. We had some nice dinners with the elders last week. They thought my chicken pillows were pretty yummy. My new find in the grocery store is "puff pastry." They don't have Pilsbury or Western Family bisquets in a can but they have puff pastry which is even better. My other cooking experience was with white Karo Syrup. They have no such thing but they call it glucose. I found it in the new store where you can buy chocolate chips. But the guy told me that I must add equal amounts of water to it because it was highly concentrated. Whatever. So I proceeded to make Natalies Scotcharoos - it called for 1/2 cup syrup so I added 1/2 cup water. When I mixed in the peanut butter I knew I was in trouble. It tastes just fine but does not hold together. I'll just crumble it up and it will be a chex mix kind of treat. The guys won't care - they'll eat anything you make and call you amazing. Next time I won't dilute the syrup - that guy didn't know what he was talking about!
So this Thursday when the Zone leaders came in, Elder Bishop was helping another sr, couple move so I was instructed to give them new SIM cards for their cell phones with other instructions. A new senior couple was there for their orientation, so I was trying to do that, check up on referrals I had given the zone leaders (to save me a phone call) and answer the phones. Now I'm a pretty good multi-tasker but I was pretty happy to see Elder Bishop return. He took over the cell phones but I was still answering phone calls and every one was a project. I was happy to turn the phone on night time and go home.
I continue the practice of not cooking on Fridays so this Friday we were off to get Chinese takeout for us and the Leavitts. President and Sister Omer were at the office parking lot waiting for a flat tire to get fixed so we invited them to join us. Now President is pretty formal - very nice and friendly but carries a presence about him that could be a little intimidating. Sister Omer is just beautiful but so down to earth and very easy to talk to. Well, anyway, they came to the Leavitt's apartment and the six of us had Chinese take out, laughed and talked until late Friday night - well late for us is 10 p.m. It was so good to see them relax and just chill. They have such a huge responsibility, I don't know how they keep up the pace. Sister Omer asked if Sister Leavitt and I would make some cookies for her to put in her freezer so she could keep up. She cooks and takes care of incoming, outgoing missionaries all of the time. I wish the mission home was closer so we could help her more. She does have a housekeeper - thank goodness. Well, anyway, the more you get to know Pres., the more you realize that he's not so intimidating.
We went on a little outing to the "Organic Market" on Saturday. I forgot to take some pictures but it was a lovely, amazing place. There were some amazing artisans selling their amazing art, jewelry, clothes, so many things and, of couse, food. We chose to try some Indian Cuisine. It was a giant pancake like with some curry, potato something rolled up in it. Then you dipped it into some other unfamiliar dish. It was not too hot but very tasty and different. We finished with an amazing poppy seed muffin. I didn't go crazy wanting to buy everything but there are some things I'm thinking about and would like to go back. They sold many fruits and vegetables but I had just been to the store - next time I'll go with empty fruit and vegetable bins. The fruits and vegetableds looked amazing. It was a lovely place - many missionary couples go there so they were use to people like us (name badges). I heard the strangest sound - a sound I hadn't heard out in public for a long time. I couldn't help asking "Are you from the U. S." Why yes we are - Chicago. You either hear Africaans, English, or African languages but this was definitely American. The one couple had three darling little children with one on the way and have been here with the Church of the Nazareen for three years and are here indefiniately. They were very nice and it was good to hear American accents that we have not heard outside the mission office for over two months. I'm getting better at deciphering telephone calls, though. I may not understand the whole question but I pick up clues here and there and can go from there. This week we get to go to the temple sealing of Fiona and Mbuso Friday night then help with the reception Saturday. I'm very excited to go to the temple. It just reopened. We'll be anxious to hear all about the Brigham City extravaganza and dedication. We love you all and pray for your success in all you do daily. We wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now but we do miss you.

I know, you've all figured out that I was suppose to put 1/4 cup glucose and 1/4 cup water.  Ross jumped on that right away.  Well, no harm done.  The scotcharoos are yummy and I can guarantee they'll be gobbled up in minutes when I put them in front of the Zone Leaders tomorrow:)

No comments:

Post a Comment