So here we have milk - not powdered milk but fat free liquid milk. I bought this off of the shelf, not in a refrigerated cooler but off the shelf - not next to the cereal because that would make sense (they don't organize their shelves in a make sense fashion). Anyway, I can keep this in my cupboard for six months! Yes, six months and the same with cream - real cream, not cool whip, dream whip or powdered cream but real cream and it can sit on my shelf for six months. I could never have to buy milk for the next six months if I bought enough and filled my cupboards. Apparently it's the UHT process. I suppose I should google the UHT process and find out how it's done. I don't know, the mystery is intriguing!
This week Elder and Sister Baxter arrived at our mission - very nice people from Morgan, Utah. When they came to the office, Elder Baxter said, so, you're from Heber right? Do you remember Lynn Baxter from high school? As we started talking, it all came back. Yes, he was a sophomore when I was a Senior. We were even in the band together. We talked about all of the people we knew. His brother Evan Baxter is about my sister, Carol's age. Anyway, what a small world. They will be working in a town called Nelspruit about five hours northeast of the mission home so probably won't see them very much. They'll be a great asset to that branch.
So Sister Omer, the president's wife took all of the ladies from the office to an "antique" African market. Well, it was a warehouse of about four very smelly rooms full of very old African relics. I've never been much of an antique lover so didn't love this all that much. Lots of things were very big and wouldn't fit in a suitcase. The room below was filled with beads - not necklaces but just millions of beads on twine. I was overwhelmed and didn't even know where to start so I didn't. I'd rather have necklaces already made.
This looks like fabric but it wasn't the kind of fabric you could make anything out of - maybe use for a tablecloth. I have my eye on some beautiful fabric I saw at the African Market at Rosebank whenever I get back there.
There were many all beaded masks, lots of large wooden items, and various warrior-type whatevers. I bought a small fertility statue and a brass box - I love little boxes. These will fit in a suitcase and appealed to me. I spent about $25. This was one of those "everyone should go once but not have to go again" experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment