Sunday, October 27, 2013

And you thought all we did was sit in an office!

So I thought I'd show some pictures of one of our moving days.  This doesn't include the hours I spend searching the internet for possible flats to rent, traveling to the flat to see if it meets our approval, the hours spent with the paperwork, bank deposits, etc, and the time spent shopping and ordering all of the supplies needed. 
This is the garage where we store the furniture.  Elder O'Riodan and Elder Hoffman are waiting for Elder Bishop to shuffle furniture and appliances so they can load the trailer.  These two elders are our neighbors and they insist on being our helpers every moving day.  We can't tell you how much we appreciate them.  We've given them cookies, McDonald meals and taken them to dinner.
Elder Hoffman loading mattresses




Elder O'Riodan, Elder Bishop, and Elder Hoffman
I got a pose and a smile
Elder Hoffman is from California and Elder O'Riodan from Australia.

Then after all is loaded Elder Bishop does the rope down.  We've never lost anything yet - he's very thorough!
After the drive which could be anywhere from one to five hours another set of elders meet us and help unload
Elder Rawnsley (England), Elder Howard (Arizona)
And then after a couple of days of unwrapping, ironing, hanging etc. you've got your brown and red senior flat
There were eventually pretty curtains on that window - I had to make them because they were an odd size and then send them with the senior couple when they arrived

Or the blue and tan one

It does take two days to get a senior flat ready but we have way more elder flats to furnish and they simply get a small two seater couch, a small table and four chairs, a bookcase, two desks, two single beds and simple curtains - no shears on their windows:)

If the flat is clean and in good repair we can get things in and ready in hours.  If not, it can take us all day. 
So this is what we do when we're not in the office - amongst other things like flat inspections and repairs.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your blog address in your home ward Sunday bulletin last spring. Our son Josh Skidmore is in your ward. Kristi and I are now serving just north of you in Zambia as the office couple. Thank you for your blog and many of the insights of how another mission goes about getting the various tasks done here in wonderful Africa. The learning curve has been steep for me but after six months things are starting to level out some. Thanks - Elder David Skidmore.

    ReplyDelete