Sunday, November 18, 2012

Examples of Mini Miracles in our Mission Work

Sometimes our work at the office is routine, solving problems, taking care of phone calls, missionaries needs, and whatever disruptions come up.  Rarely do we go a whole day just doing office work without interruptions.  That would be so great and we'd maybe get some things caught up but it's just not the case.  But two weeks ago we were having perhaps a routine Tuesday when the Assistants to the President came in and said that we would probably need to open up a new area and get a new apartment ready by the day of transfer.  So this was the 6th of November and transfers were the 13th.  Finding a new apartment, getting all of the paper work accomplished, let alone knowing if we have enough furnishings usually will take two or three weeks.  Elder Bishop and I said, You want us to do what?"  Well, we'll know for sure on Thursday.

Our schedule was such that if we were going to set up a new apartment for the Tuesday transfer, it had to be done on Saturday.  We had two days!  Our Saturday was already dedicated to emptying the four bedroom house the previous missionaries were in because the new renters were moving in on the 16th.  We had planned our trip with the Wonnacotts Tuesday through Thursday so the house had to be done on Saturday the 10th.  That was the only time we had.  Now they wanted us to set up a new apartment out in who knows where.  I was a bit onery about it and told the Elders that they would have to go check out a new apartment because we just did not have time.  That was no problem - they did and said there were two apartments available and as soon as we said we'd take it, they'd put in a new stove. 

So on Thursday, they told us they needed the new apartment for sure so Elder Bishop called the agent, said we'd like to move in on Saturday and would it be ready.  She said it would, but me being the one concerned about the condition and cleanliness of the place, called back and asked if the place would not only be ready but clean.  I had no time to reclean what they consider clean.  She assured me it would be.  So we took inventory of our furniture and figured we had everything but one desk.  We had some ordered and we'd get it to them as soon as they came.  

Friday night, Ross and I went to the house and packed up the kitchen.  This kitchen had everything the new elders would need so I just packed those things aside.  Saturday morning the four of us with the two mission trucks and trailer loaded up the furniture we had here at the mission storage, went to the house, emptied the refrigerator (Powell or Oketa, our African returned missionary I've told you about, was still living there but he knew he had to be out that day) loaded the washer, microwave, dishes, pots and pans, and curtains drove safely to the new area about 40 minutes away and by noon had the new apartment all set, curtains hung, and ready for the Elders to move in on Tuesday.  From Thursday until Saturday was a miracle - I'd be surprised if it ever happens that fast again. But there are always more miracles.

We then went back to the house and loaded and unloaded all the rest of the day until I was ready to sell my kingdom for a garbage dump to put it all in.  But I had to sort and decide what went where until future need.  We were exhausted, but all that was left was Powell's room which would have to wait until Monday.  We weren't sure when Monday, but we had to go on faith with that. 

Over the weekend, Ross asked me if I'd scheduled the carpets to be cleaned.  Was I suppose to do that?  Yes, the owner said the carpets needed cleaning.  Whoops - that little detail had got past me.  So early Monday morning I called the carpet company whose owner happened to be a member.  I told them our situation and sounded very desperate.  She thought they could do it Thursday.  That won't work, the new people are moving in Friday morning and the carpets won't be dry.  She said she'd call me back.  Now I had prayed specifically that morning that we'd be able to get the carpets done and dry before Friday.  Never thought I'd be praying about carpet cleaning:)  She called back and said they could be there at 12:30 today.  I was so grateful - Heavenly Father is in all of the details of the mission, even carpet cleaning.

It was 10:30 and Powell happened to be at the office so Ross and I grabbed him, loaded the trailer onto the truck and proceeded to get him moved out in two hours.  It was like pulling teeth to get that 6 foot 8 inch big African moved out of that house.  I was throwing boxes at him, here use this box, do you need this, what about this.  Well, the carpet cleaners arrived about 11 a.m.  He was very, very nice, though and just worked elsewhere while we got that bedroom empty.  We waited for them (in Africa if you're the boss, you don't do any work) and we just chatted.  He wanted to talk about the election and Romney and the condition of the South Africa government.  So, by 12:30 we had Powell moved out and the carpets cleaned.  Another mini miracle.  We were picking up Dave and Debbie that afternoon and leaving the next day at 1 p.m. for our trip.  We knew we'd have to come back Thursday night to do any last minute details but at least we could relax until then.  After all was said and done, we figure it took about 60 man hours to empty and clean that place.  As long we we're in charge of apartments, we will NEVER rent another big house!

No comments:

Post a Comment