| | This week was hectic but we had a little different experience. President and Sister Reber, president of the MTC went to mission presidents' seminar for three days. They asked us to keep an eye on their sixteen elders. We started Sunday afternoon and met them in the cafeteria for dinner. These are sixteen very fine young men - about 7 from US, one from Johannesburg, and the rest from around Africa. We watched a movie we had never seen about the Salt Lake Temple then Elder Bishop led a discussion about the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. The elders learned a lot in that hour. They had snacks which consisted of peanut butter sandwiches and quesadillas. I played the piano for song practice and they went off to their rooms. Lights are suppose to be out at 10:30. We went to President and Sister's apartment which is attached right to the MTC, went to bed and didn't hear a thing. We ate breakfast with them, they went to class and we loaded up the trailer and bakkie and drove to furnish a new a flat. Sister Hillam joined them for lunch and dinner because we didn't get back until about 7 p.m. We then changed our clothes and joined them for snack and singing time again. I took some ripe bananas from the cafeteria and Tuesday morning made them some banana bread. I thought peanut butter sandwiches and quesadillas every night for two weeks would get pretty old. Anyway, we ate breakfast Tuesday morning and they were off to the temple for the whole day. This would be the Africans first time through. We then took the banana bread for snack that night. You'd think I'd given them the moon - they were so cute about it and gobbled it all gone. Then singing time, prayer, and good night. I didn't really sleep very good in a strange king size bed and felt pretty ragged by Wed. morning. But we had breakfast and lunch with them again and the Rebers were back and we got to go home to our own bed Wednesday night. We never saw them again until today, Sunday when they sang for our Sacrament Meeting. They were adorable and sounded really good. I had some free time Saturday so made oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies to take over Sunday night. I just felt like they were just our special boys. I didn't have a chance to get really close to any of them but there were a special few who stood out. You know how some people really relate to adults and are comfortable with them - we had a few of those. And Elder Matli was from the ward we attend so it was fun being there and seeing this great young man. He has been teaching the Gospel Principles class and will make an amazing missionary.
I checked in with Sister Reber to see if it was all right if I brought the cookies over and she said great and why don't you join us for family home evening at 8. So after church and before evening we drove to a place called Pimville to attend the Soweto Stake choirs' Christmas concert. This was an all African choir dressed in native costumes singing Christmas Carols. It was wonderful and really started Christmas off for us.
So after returning from that great event, we took the cookies over and joined the 16 elders and Pres and Sister Reber. Sister Reber is a master teacher and makes everything fun so after her lesson, we played "I love everyone who...." like the fruit basket game. It was great fun and the elders were such good sports. The Americans are great but the African Elders are just so humble and sweet - it's hard to describe - they are never loud - they are quiet but not standoffish - just adorable is all I can say. We went and had cookies and ice cream - all cookies were gone and they were so appreciative. Song practice again but this time Pres. Reber accompanied with the guitar. My heart was full as we sang with these fine young men - full because of the privilege of just being in their presence, grateful for their desire to sacrifice and serve, and also maybe had a little prayer for each one of them because I know that they're going to go out in the hard cruel world and have some really hard times. It's that feeling of throwing the lambs to the wolves. They are so sweet and full of the Spirit and desire to be missionaries - I just pray that none of them falter or stumble too hard but that they are stalwart and overcome their hard times. I know that most of them will be leaders and have amazing mission experiences. They have a final testimony meeting tomorrow night and then they fly out Tuesday morning heading for Durban and Uganda. They are really only here for 10 days - pretty short mission training. It makes me sad that I will never see any of them again in this life but it was a treat and privilege to have this special time with them. Good luck you group of sixteen. May the Lord protect you and bless you.
In line for breakfast
Goofy picture, I know - eating with the elders
This group's official picture
| | |
No comments:
Post a Comment